FIFA begins push with soccer leaders for biennial World Cup

FIFA will finally start talking to soccer clubs, leagues and players’ unions this month in the latest moves announced Monday in its bid to host the biennial Men’s World Cup.

All 211 member associations were invited to online chats on September 30 as part of consultations on the future of the national soccer team, including the biennial Men’s World Cup.

FIFA initially sought approval this month from retired players, including World Cup winners who went to Qatar for a two-day conference, and conducted fan polls in selected countries.

The process has been criticized by FIFPro, the world federation of active players, which is now preparing for a meeting with FIFA.

A “new phase of consultation” will begin with organizations representing players, clubs, leagues and the six continental governing bodies, FIFA announced Monday in a statement.

UEFA, the European soccer body, has warned it could boycott it if the World Cup breaks out of its historic four-year cycle, and its South American counterpart, CONMEBOL, opposes this. Its members dominate the World Cup on the field but are united by less than a third of the 211 confederations that vote.

FIFA believes that the biennial World Cup will give more players and teams the opportunity to compete in meaningful games, enhance talent globally, and raise more money to support development programs.

Prestige of other tourneys at risk?

The opposition has focused on weakening the appeal of the World Cup, distorting the balance between national and international soccer and overloading players with a tight schedule. The UEFA European Championship and Copa América position in CONMEBOL is also vulnerable to playing in more World Cup tournaments.

The World Cup debate has overshadowed the ongoing review of international match calendars administered by FIFA, which establish the need for clubs to hand over players to national teams.

The men’s calendar expires in 2024 and there is broad agreement that the current system is outdated. Players must travel to games in separate windows at least four times during each national season.

FIFA has proposed to simplify the schedule with smaller groups eligible for tournaments, potentially all matches to be played in one block in October.

The women’s calendar ends in 2023, when Australia and New Zealand host the next World Cup.

Last week, the German Football Association said that women’s football could be overcrowded due to clashes imposed by holding more men’s world championships.

The changes proposed by FIFA are spearheaded by Arsene Wenger, the former Arsenal manager who is now the director of global development for world football. He suggested making decisions for December.

Previously a fast-paced player in the major leagues, he called up the juniors’ Cleveland Goose on Monday, this time as a left-back cutout.

“His story of him makes me smile, it really is,” Cleveland interim manager DeMarlo Hill said.

The team made the move before welcoming Kansas City with a double header. Gose, who last appeared in the majors in 2016 with Detroit, appeared in Game 2.

The fourth inning began with Cleveland losing 2-1 and Hunter Dozier marching on seven pitchers. Later, with a jockey on second and third base, Gose released Sebastian Rivero on the floor before Royals batter Wyatt Merryfield lined up in left field.

In the fifth inning, Kansas City shortstop Nikki López lined up and hit José Salvador Pérez, who hit his 46th of the season in Game 1 to set a major league record at home in a season by a regular receiver ( 15 injured when Perez was designated hitter).).

Zinger also moved Pérez’s 46 to a tie with Vladimir Guerrero Jr., the Blue Jays’ first player in most major leagues.